If you’re navigating the world of type 2 diabetes, meet Victoza (Liraglutide), a remarkable drug injected to aid in diabetes treatment.
- What is Victoza? Victoza, or liraglutide, is a GLP-1 analogue approved in 2010 for treating type 2 diabetes.
- How does it work? Administered once a day via injection, Victoza operates over 24 hours, offering benefits in blood glucose control and aiding weight loss.
- Trade Name: Victoza
- Generic Name: Liraglutide
- Drug Class: GLP-1 receptor agonists (incretin mimetics)
- Manufacturer: Novo Nordisk
Mechanism of Action:
Victoza works around the clock to lower fasting and post-prandial blood glucose levels. It stimulates insulin secretion, suppresses glucagon secretion, and delays stomach emptying, reducing glucose absorption and curbing appetite.
Who Can Benefit:
Victoza is prescribed for those with uncontrolled type 2 diabetes as an adjunct to diet and exercise. The prescribed dose on the NHS is typically 1.2 mg, with some individuals receiving up to 1.8 mg.
How to Take Victoza:
- Injected subcutaneously in the stomach, thigh, or upper arm.
- Taken once a day at the same time for consistency.
- Can be used alongside other diabetes drugs like metformin and sulphonylureas.
Common side effects include nausea, headaches, vomiting, and diarrhea. Less frequent side effects include loss of appetite, indigestion, acid reflux, and constipation. Hypoglycemia is more common when combined with a sulphonylurea.
Head-to-head studies suggest Victoza may be more effective than Byetta, with patients preferring its once-a-day dose. Researchers endorse Victoza as a suitable GLP-1 analogue for type 2 diabetes treatment.
Liraglutide belongs to the human-glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) class, though it is a chemical analogue with modifications to its original structure.
Weight Loss Benefits:
Victoza aids weight loss by increasing satiety and delaying gastric emptying, reducing calorie intake. This is especially significant as weight gain is a common side effect of type 2 diabetes treatments, making weight loss a valuable goal.
Explore the world of Victoza and type 2 diabetes management. Always consult your healthcare professional for personalized advice on incorporating Victoza into your diabetes care plan.